Friday 15 June 2012

New Macbook Pro! (2012, Retina Display) Review, Thoughts.

The new MacBook Pro announced during the Apple WWDC 2012 is a whole new breakthrough.

Here's a couple of reasons:

1. Retina display for a laptop
I don't know how many of you would appreciate the 'retina' display, but it certainly marks the point where the future of Retina Display begins. Also, this is very crucial to Photo and Video editing, with the big screen AND high resolution! If you're thinking, well I don't do any Photo or Video editing, you should be better off with other laptops at the moment as this is kind of the 'prototype' and only photo/video editors would buy a laptop with this steep price tag at this point. But again, it's going to change in the near future.

2. Double Thunderbolt port
Thunderbolt definitely beats USB 3.0 hands-down. The only problem it has is that the Thunderbolt hardwares seems to be expensive (due to its difficult software controls). But many are coming out and low priced Thunderbolt products are coming out (especially the external drives) such as Elgato Thunderbolt SSD. Again, this (at this point) is only useful for professional editors (especially video editors) because you normally won't need a dual 10Gbps connection for your everyday tasks. But for video creative editors, this is a godsend. Especially with the Double Thunderbolt ports since they don't need to buy extra hardware adapters of some sort to extend their Thunderbolt connection. These Thunderbolt ports turn this into a mobile Powerhouse!

3. Newly designed efficient fan
These so-called high-efficiency fans cools this mobile workplace. Not much to say about this one, but this definitely would help reducing the noise generated from the fan while increasing air flow efficiency (with the introduction of unbalanced fan gap - yep).

4. Long battery
Of course, it would last barely 1~2 hours when you're topping its max and the fan goes off to its max, but from the experience I get from Macbook Air, 7 hours roughly translates to 5 hours of normal work. Now, I recommend you to plug in the power when you are doing some heavy-duty tasks such as video-editing (it's always video editing, isn't it?) because the battery life will shorten by a bit. But other than that, with all that spec, 7 hours is amazing although I suspect that with switched graphics (to a more powerful one) and/or mid to mid-heavy workload would literally squeeze the juice out of the pack.

5. Thinness and portability
My god, you have no idea why having a thin laptop is important. Own a Macbook Air and you'll know right away. Or this laptop. Now I was able to get my hands on the new Macbook Pro and before I talk about its weight and its feelings, I want to describe my experience with the Macbook Air. My MBA (Macbook Air) is very, very light and I can carry it around with only 1 hand, completely balanced, and it feels like just a book. I wouldn't consider doing this with other hefty laptops, but this was lightweight and portable enough so that I carry this around everywhere, even to my bathroom. *cough. Macbook Pro 15" Retina Display have the weight of the 'normal' 13 inch laptop (something like 2 inch thick, just normal Dell or Samsung laptop) but have the size of 15 inch laptop. Now, the thickness of this laptop is great (although not perfect). But you do need to hold it with 2 hands (both by weight and by size) and the size will feel uncomfortable to carry it around. It is designed to be a powerhouse, so heck, why not just put it in one place and not move it? That's what it's designed to be anyway. Not really portable, I must say.

6. Flash storage
I'm going to say only one thing about flash: I've been using Macbook Air, and I have no idea how you could use a laptop without flash. It's so slow! Fortunately, this Macbook Pro comes with a Flash storage, so you can rest assured that you won't bore yourself right at the loading screen. In fact, it's even faster than the one in Macbook Air and is so fast that you don't even see the spinning wheel on booting (it's probably the same as Macbook Air, by experience). This IS the future. You can't live without it. Period.

That's about it! I would recommend this 'thin' laptop (I'm not too sure as to put this in the 'ultrabook' category or not. Of course, this IS an Ultrabook but since I've got so used to Macbook Air...) to anyone who needs some serious power and/or fast and powerful expansion. Mainly for professionals, I wouldn't recommend this for normal users due to 1. high price tag 2. its big size 3. its overly powerful computing power (it won't be in a couple of years).

If you are a normal user though, I would recommend waiting for a bit until Apple applies the same to the 13-inch Macbook Pro (because this IS the future) or they hugely bump the specs of Macbook Air (which is highly unlikely).

Please like this article on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment